Friday, May 15

Wandering around trying to find info on the new Clive Barker book, The Scarlet Gospels (current word has it it may not be ready for another couple of years. Blast!) when I came across this fantastic quote about The Undying, a PC game he was closely involved with a few years back:

"We had this fellow called Magnus. Count Magnus Wolfram. Who was bald, tattoed, looked like a comic book hero. And I got them all in a room, and I said, 'Look, does anyone in this room know a count? No. Does anybody in this room know anybody called Magnus? No. Does anybody really want to be in this guy's skin? Since this is a first person play, why would you want to be in this man's skin? Why would you want to play [as him]?' And so we threw him out, and I said, 'Look. You've got a gay man in charge here. Bring me somebody I want to sleep with. Bring me somebody fabulously sexy.'...

"Brian Horton about ten days later sent me the character that now appears on the screen. Who was wonderful, he's everything I wanted. He was just the right kind of character. He seemed like somebody you would want to be, somebody you would want to play, whose skin you would want to occupy for a period of time. Even if you are going against the hordes of hell, at least he was going to do it with a smile on his face."


Makes a nice change from the 'Immortal Bald Man In Box Armour, Also Tits McGee' design aesthetic present in virtually every game today. Unless they're following the same design principal. In which case, eww...

No comments: